Cross Village has been known by several names throughout its history, beginning with Waganakisi, which is the Ottawa word for crooked tree. The name originated from a large fir tree located on the shore of Lake Michigan which was so large it was used as a landmark by those passing in canoes. As French traders began to visit the area, they kept the same name, calling the village L’Arbre Croche.
It wasn’t until 1830, when a white cross was erected in the village, that the town got its current name. The Native Americans began to refer to the settlement as Anamiewatigoing, which means at the tree of prayer, and by 1875, the area was officially known as Cross Village.